Friday, September 24, 2010

N. Ireland Mission Report from Heath Flynn

Heath sharing in the morning session for SPARK 2010

It was such a joy to serve in Northern Ireland. The trip was completely different than Ethiopia, but I am thankful for all we were able to do there. We stayed at the Wilson's home for the week. The Wilson's are such a great family and I am thankful for there hospitality and the friendships built with the whole family. It was also nice to have some homecooked meals as well. Liz is an amazing cook. I enjoyed getting to know James as well. He is a great source of information for just about anything and knows just about everyone in the city of Ballymoney. I am excited and praying for the city outreach to come in Coleraine.

For the week, we came alongside 35-40 students ranging from middle school to early college to serve the community through various projects. The days began with Stephen teaching from Romans 8 and how we are to conform to the image of Christ. It was such a refreshing start to the day. I was greatly encouraged by his teaching. The morning session was followed by lunch. We would all gather in the gym of Trinity Church and share meals together. After lunch, we would break up into teams and do community projects throughout the city. These projects consisted of gardening, painting sheds and fences, and other general cleanup of family's homes in Ballymoney. What a great opportunity to serve others and build relationships with these students. The students were such a joy to work with. They were such a welcoming bunch. I felt a connection with all of them instantly. They worked so hard and I never heard one complaint from them. I continue to keep in touch with some of them and I am excited to see the work the Lord will do in each one of their lives. Projects in the afternoon were followed by outreach in the evening. We encouraged the students to invite their friends to come and hang out with us at coffee shops and other local hangouts to share the Gospel.

One of my favorite days came in the middle of the week. We assembled a small group of individuals and set out for the streets of Ballymoney where we interviewed some of the locals to hear what they believe about the Gospel. After each interview, we had the amazing opportunity to share the Gospel. Many heard the good news that day. It was such a joy to take part in the spreading of the Gospel. I felt this was an eye opening experience for the students as well. A few students after we were done stated they had no idea how lost some people really are. It also goes to show these students there is a world to be reached right in their own backyard. You don't have to go very far.

The last morning session, Len and I were able to share about our trip to Ethiopia and encourage the students to take a trip there. I pray that many will take hold of this opportunity. A trip there would truly be an eye opening experience and good for there spiritual walk.
I am very thankful the Lord opened the door for me to go here. I have always wanted to go to Ireland. It is very hard to be back in a lot of ways. I desire to come back and I hope the Lord will allow me to soon, but I will be patient seeking Him and the authority he has place over me in my church. His will be done.

-Heath

(Heath Flynn traveled with Len Kennedy and Stephen to Ethiopia and Northern Ireland July 30-August 14 of this year)

No comments: