Friday, September 24, 2010

Ethiopia Mission Report from Heath Flynn

From left to right; Len Kennedy, Negash Gemeda, Heath Flynn, Shemsiya and Mohammed, Getachew Dmissie and Stephen Kennedy

It was a such a joy and a blessing to go to Ethiopia with Stephen and Len Kennedy. The trip was filled with so much to do, and went by way too fast, but I am thankful for the work the Lord is doing and will continue to do here . I am so thankful I was able to be a part of it if only for a short while.

The trip began at Agemba church where Negash had the three of us preach a word of encouragement. This was a little uncomfortable for me. I have never enjoyed public speaking, but the Lord is our strength and works in our weakness and he gave me the words to say and calmed my fear.

The next day we were able to visit four of the missionaries, two of which were newlyweds, one who had a newborn and the other a more difficult but good visit where tears were shed as we witnessed a son ask for the forgiveness of his family for some of the wrongs he had committed. It was encouraging to spend time with all of them. Part of the reason in visiting them was to be an encouragement to them, but I found the opposite to be true. Through the hearing of their testimonies, sacrifices, persecution and all of them sharing food and drink with us, I was probably more encouraged by them.
Tuesday we traveled to the countryside where we thought we were going to visit another missionary, similar to the day before. To our surprise, we arrived to a packed church where again we were asked to preach the Word. The Lord again proved himself faithful as he always does, and brought a passage to mind to share.

Wednesday, we had the opportunity to visit the Tinsae library. This trip we took 116 books. These books include Bibles, commentaries, books about doctrine, and various other materials so people can grow, mature, and have a solid foundation in their faith.

The next day we went to Shalom church to visit all of TLC children. It was a joy to see all of their smiling faces. I am thankful for this program which provides all of these kids food, clothing, tuition and Bible school. Many of the children are from Muslim families. I am excited for the opportunity for these children to hear truth and take it home to their families. May the Gospel spread like wildfire! Later that morning, we visited a man from a Muslim background who was paralyzed from the waste down. He became paralyzed in a trucking accident. He praises God for the accident because through it, he was saved. Currently, he has a ministry where children visit him circled around his bed and he shares the Gospel with them. That afternoon, we had the amazing opportunity to meet with many of the ministers and pray together. Even though, many of them are from different denominations, they come together every week to praise God, pray for one another, and bear one anothers burdens. I am reminded that even with our differences we are united in Christ. What a sweet time it was to come together.

Friday, we spent the entire day visiting ministers from the churches at Busa, Tulobolo, Awash Bunni, and Tefki. Many traveled a couple of hours just to see us. It was a joy to be with them and share words of encouragement and hear their prayer requests so we know how to pray for these dear brothers.

The week went by in such a hurry. It is difficult to be back, but I know the Lord is in control of our situations and circumstances so I will trust him and where he has placed me. Upon returning, I have had some time to think and reflect on the trip and the Lord has taught me a few things. Here are just a few. First, I need to always be ready to give a defense for the Gospel and many other truths from His Word. I was asked on multiple occasions to share Scripture with families we visited or to get up in front of the church and share words of encouragement. It is only through time spent in the Word where we know His Word and know Him better to be able to share His Truth . I have tried to make it a point to be in Scripture daily so I will be ready. I also realized everything we did had a purpose to it. I have tried to examine my life and take out a lot of the "fluff" in my life and be purposeful in all that I am doing. May the Lord be pleased in all I do and may others see Him working in me daily. I was daily reminded by Negash whose ministry this is. In all we did, he was constantly reminding us to praise God for the work and give him the glory. We are to put no confidence in ourselves.

I had such an amazing time with all of these brothers. I pray for them often and will continue to for them in the ongoing work they do. I would also encourage others to go and be a part of this amazing work God is doing in Ethiopia.

-Heath

(Heath Flynn traveled to Ethiopia and Northern Ireland with Len Kennedy and Stephen July 30- August 14 of this year)


No comments: