Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Patrick's Paragraphs - The Law of the Harvest (April 2006)

We will reap what we sow. It is the Law of the Harvest. If you plant corn, you will get corn.

While enroute to Ethiopia, Anna-Margaret and I had the opportunity to visit the home of Corrie Ten Boom in Haarlem, Holland. Corrie became famous as a Christian speaker after being the only surviving member of her family that was imprisoned by the Nazis for providing a safe house for Jews. Her story is one of forgiveness, but her words were tested when she came face-to-face with a former guard from the prison camp where her sister had died. She recognized the guard at an evangelical meeting in Germany, and she shared how anger and hate welled in her at the sight of this recently converted brother. The love of God overwhelmed her as she forgave this former murderer verbally and took his hand. “With all my heart I forgive you brother!”

I have mixed emotions today as I sit in Ethiopia. In the same day that my heart was made glad by news from a distant land,, I was saddened by rumors that plague the Church. It seems that a local minister was supposedly caught in some sin, and the rumor mill has been working over-time. Some reports were true, some exaggerated and most conflicting.

Serving in a ministry role it seems that I hear so many things. So many things that I wish I did not know.
However, I am amazed to see how quickly a rumor dies when you ask a few simple questions of the accuser. Did you see this? Did you hear him say this? Do you have proof? Have you gone to him as scripture commands? Most often this line of questions will produce a red face and answers like, “Well, the people who told me are trustworthy…” or “I didn’t think it was my place to actually confront him…”

When the talk is about me, I must admit that I often negate the words of Christ, and I long to demand justice if I have been misrepresented or mercy if I am in error. When the words are about someone else, I find that I am all too eager to hear more, and share “in love” or “Christian concern” the despicable things I have heard. The Word of God proclaims this “sharing” is wicked. “It is wicked to even speak of what the disobedient do in secret.” (LOOK UP) While we should be very careful not to condone sin, we should be even more careful not to expose the sins of others and pass judgment on them. We speak the truth in love to whom it should be spoken only for reconciliation.

How hard the words of Christ are. Jesus tells us not to resist the evil one, but rather to speak of lovely things and to bless those who curse you. If He were not God His words would seem to be those of a madman. Yet our Creator demands that we follow Him in word and deed.

What is the deed that He has done? By His great love, He who knew no sin became accursed for us. His love covers a multitude of sin. While He has every right to demand justice, He exercises mercy. When His cross tells the truth about us, He is our advocate with the Father. He calls us friends, even though we act as His enemies.

The law of the harvest is in effect, and we will reap what we sow. But what bothers me more than the fact that I will suffer the consequences of my actions and “get what I deserve” is the fact that I have passed up an opportunity to be Christlike. If I do not plant corn I will not reap corn. I weep to think of how much blessing I have passed up when given the opportunity to exercise mercy. So many times I have been my brother’s accuser rather than his keeper. What blessings have I lost? What mercy will not be extended my way?
How life-giving the words of Christ are. When I extend love and mercy it will be extended to me from the throne of Heaven. Let us be busy sowing love, exercising mercy. When our brothers or sisters are in error, let us encourage repentance, cover their sins and rescue them with the same love that has been extended to us. For in due time we will receive reward!

No comments: