Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Patrick's Paragraphs -- Ask, Seek and Knock (June 2006)

Seven years ago when IOI was in its infancy, I had an old friend advise me, “Ask, seek and knock.” His advice offended me because I knew he was not talking about prayer. He had built a ministry by writing letters and actively seeking out opportunities for fundraising and speaking.
I read an account of George Mueller’s life and had been impressed that IOI should be an organization like Mueller’s orphanage that operated by “faith.” Mueller never publicized the needs of the orphanage, and yet their needs were always met. One famous account that I remember in particular was the day that prayers produced a milk wagon that had broken down on the street outside the orphanage just after prayers had been offered for milk. It was a ministry that operated by faith.
IOI had a glorious beginning, and we did see God supply our every need, many times in miraculous ways. We never missed a payment, we never missed a meal. However, our Board became concerned about my lack of disposable income and I was required to send out a letter asking for support. I had asked for support for others, but not for myself. My commitment to authority was tested to its limits that day, and I even thought that directly asking for support just might be a sin.
The immediate and direct result of my letter was small. The lasting effect it had was that I can no longer say that we “have never asked for support.” Writing that letter made me an honest man. Dr. Padelford has said, “If you send out a newsletter, talk about your ministry and enclose a reply card, you are asking for support.”
Always looking for balance in all matters I have come to the conclusion that there are times that our requests should only be made to God and times when we are free to share our requests with others. We are eager to share our health needs with others and sometimes we should be just as eager to share other needs that humans can help meet. This gives others an opportunity to be blessed as God uses them to bless us in words and deeds of encouragement.
A few months ago I was looking at Robin Mark’s website and noticed that he was planning to spend his summer in the United States. Robin is a worship leader from Belfast, Northern Ireland and he has produced a couple of famous worship albums with songs like Shout to the North. His email address was listed on the sight and I simply sent an email telling him about IOI and asking if he would be willing to perform a benefit concert for us.
Robin’s reply was gracious and encouraging. He agreed to come to Jackson on July 13 and his only request was that we pay his expenses and provide some snacks before the concert. I had already appreciated his music, now I appreciated him as a person.
Because of the Irish influence in Robin’s music I thought that Kúla, a local Irish band, would be a great opening for Robin. When I asked them about coming they agreed to come at their own expense.
It is my hope that we will have a large number of people who attend the concert. Not only because we are trying to raise funds, but it should be a wonderful opportunity for the Gospel to be presented and the LORD to be glorified.

No comments: