Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tinsae Library Opens in Lafto


by Mary Evans
March Mission Team Volunteer
I struggled with how to describe my trip in a brief and edifying manner. But I will say that I saw the Lord’s hand in this trip- how it came about, the make up of the team that went, and the unity we had as a team. To describe the trip in a few ways, it was enriching, eye-opening, heart softening, and humbling.
I shared with the indigenous missionaries that I felt at home in Ethiopia, not because I had lived in Africa most of my life, but because they were indeed my brothers in Christ. I had been praying for an opportunity to see the Body of Christ in a new and refreshing way in Ethiopia. He was faithful in doing that.
On the first day in Ethiopia our attempt to visit a church out in the countryside hit several obstacles. Oceans of deep mud ended up turning us back while Negash, Nadine and Bobby walked 3 hours to make it for the end of the baptism of more than 30 believers.
Our goal of setting up a library (organize and catalog over 400 books) was met; it just took 2 days longer than expected, but I saw how the Lord was sovereign in the fact that I work in a library and was able to help in coming up with a cataloging system that would work in Addis.
Our team was able to witness the baptism of an Ethiopian lady who lives and works in Lebanon. Pray for her to live out her faith as she returns to Lebanon.
I was humbled by the poverty and beggars. I mentioned previously that this trip was heart softening. I think I saw so much poverty growing up in different ways but I was able to see it in a new light and process it too.
Thursday we fellowshipped with the missionaries who were fasting and praying for their ministry and families.
Friday was the grand opening of the Tinsae (Resurrection) Library and we were able to dedicate it to the Lord. Our prayer is that through this Christian literature, people would come to know the written Word and Jesus Christ the Word.
We were able to visit the children’s’ ministry that IOI supports, and give out the gifts to about 102 kids. These kids are being supported on $25 dollars a month, and their education, school uniforms and other physical needs are taken care of. We had the opportunity to visit Buruk’s home – a tent in the middle of a dump. What was a humbling experience for us was an honoring time for them.
I’m still not sure what the Lord had in store with the trip except to Glorify Himself, and I pray that was indeed what took place. There was evidence after evidence of His faithful work and creative handiwork.
Please join me in prayer for the evangelist Kasau, Amsala one of the few women IOI supports, Fikadu as he helps set up a new ministry within IOI, for Fikere as he and his wife run the café/library area. And for the other missionaries that are selflessly serving the Lord in their homeland, Ethiopia.


The Tinsae Library was established in part by donations from the USA and the UK. Special thanks to donors of financial resources and to Union University for the donation of over 400 books!

No comments: