Friday, November 02, 2007

Patrick's Paragraphs -- Making Progress

“Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”
I John 5:5

A friend of mine recently said, “When we feel like we are making progress God will show us that we are not.”
On the surface this quote might seem a bit pessimistic, and imply that we cannot make progress as Christians. I have certainly witnessed this brother in Christ making progress for the better part of 20 years. He obviously does not feel like he has progressed much since his salvation, but his walk with Christ is identified by persistence despite his experience.
On the other hand, certainly there are those who feel that they have made progress in the faith. However, if they despise the Church, and have inflated thoughts of their own righteous deeds it might be evidence that they have not progressed as much as they think. In deed they may not know God at all.
One thing I see in common to most men that I admire is their humility and a almost constant feeling that they simply don’t measure up to God’s standards. Throughout history we read personal biographies of missionaries, ministers and saints who felt that they lacked much more than they had in the realm of spirituality. Indeed even Jesus tells a parable about a justified man who has humbled himself prostrate in prayer, while a pious Pharisee stands looking on in thankfulness that he is “not like” the sinful man on the floor.
As I turned 40 this past month, I have reflected on so much of my life that has been wasted, how little evidence that I see of the faith I proclaim. So much of experience seems to contradict the faith that I claim, yet I know that Jesus is the Way, Truth and Life. I believe by faith that Jesus is Lord and God has raised Him.
Watchman Nee said, “Faith follows truth and experience follows faith.” Our faith is based on what is not seen, otherwise it would not be called faith. Certainly we should see growing love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control in our lives. Good works should be our lifestyle. But, rather than looking to our experience, we look to Christ himself.
Do you love God? Do you love His Son? Do you love His Bride? If so, that is progress.

No comments: