Monday, December 11, 2006

Patrick's Paragraphs -- Be Still and Know Him

The past couple of years have been both difficult and filled with blessings. Physically and emotionally, I am very tired most of the time.
I have not been able to travel much, which is a blessing in a way, as I have been able to spend more time with my family. When I have traveled, it has been mostly problem-solving rather than encouraging. Balancing many spinning plates is part of my job as director, and I actually enjoy having many irons in the fire. However, the task has simply become overwhelming.
There is something in me that likes working, maybe to a sinful degree. I think the term is “workaholic.” Things have been going so well with the ministry that I have certainly had plenty of work to do. Dr. Padelford is fond of saying, “The only thing we have to fear is success.” So, God is gracious and often sends storms our way and stops us in our tracks.
The past couple of months have been particularly blessed as we were able to sell our home at a profit; we have moved into a temporary home, and the health of the family has been much improved. I certainly believe that many of you have been praying for us, and God has answered your prayers.
It is during these times of great blessing that I seem most likely to forget God. Instead of being still and knowing Him, I would much rather busy my days with “important” things. I make my decisions and ask God to bless my plans. I really should know better by now.
When IOI started it was at an extreme low point of my life, and I see now how God has redeemed that suffering. I have had low points since, and I see how God has redeemed those times to further conform me to the image of His Son. It has become clear in all of this that God is not nearly so interested in us doing something for Him, rather His desire is that we should know Him.
As the holidays approach I am sure that we will all be tempted to busyness and activities. I would like to remind us all that our greatest purpose in life is to love God and our fellow man. Everything pales in comparison to our glorious God and the love that He has poured out on those who believe. May your holidays be a time of peace as you contemplate the goodness of God.

No comments: